Grand Turk Lighthouse

Home  > Grand Turk Lighthouse

Grand Turk Lighthouse

Built in 1852 , this lighthouse is Grand Turk’s most famous landmark and is the only lighthouse in the Turks and Caicos Islands. In the early 19th century, many ships wrecked off the northern coast of Grand Turk, and it reached a point where shipping firms (primarily US and Bermudian) and the UK and US Governments insisted that a lighthouse be built to aid in navigation.

Facilities

Luxurious Spa Retreat

Modern Fitness Center

Heated Outdoor Pool

The lighthouse is no longer operational, yet the grounds are open for tourism. Access is not allowed into the lighthouse.

The Attraction Today

The grounds of the Grand Turk Lighthouse are open to visitors. There’s a $3 admission charge per person for entry (which can be applied towards the cost of a beverage or item from the onsite shop), and some tours may include admission as part of a package. There’s a small snack and gift shop in the old light-keeper’s house, and a scenic coastal path that leads along the top of the marine limestone cliffs of the coastline. Directly adjacent to the east of the lighthouse are the ruins of the 1950s-era U.S. Navy NAVFAC 104 base. Although not an official tourist attraction, this site is nevertheless interesting. The cute and hardy Turks and Caicos donkeys can usually be seen wandering in this region of Grand Turk.

The History of the Grand Turk Lighthouse

The main structure was designed by Alexander Gordon and was prefabricated in England. It’s an early example of cast-iron prefabrication, and one of the first of its type. Originally, the lighthouse was designed to burn whale oil (the origin of which was likely Salt Cay) and had Argand reflector lamps. These reflector lamps magnified light to 450 times original intensity. The clock-like machinery (to rotate the light) was designed by Chance Brothers of Birmingham, England.